Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- Prepare pizza dough as directed. (August ’00, p. 42)
- While dough is rising, in large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until much of liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in basil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Prepare grill, leaving one side unlit. Lightly oil 2 large baking sheets. Gently punch down dough, divide in half and knead each half into a ball. Place dough balls on lightly floured surface, cover with plastic wrap and let rest 8 minutes. Using rolling pin, roll each ball into 9-inch circle, about 1/4 inch (scant) thick. Transfer to prepared baking sheets and lightly brush entire surface with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush eggplant slices with oil and place over hot side of grill. Cook until softened, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Transfer eggplant to plate and set aside.
- Carefully lift each dough circle off baking sheet and place on hot side of grill. Cook undisturbed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, so bottom has a chance to set; top of dough will bubble.
- Using large spatula, flip dough over onto same hot side of grill and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Slide crusts to cooler area of grill. Evenly spread about half
- the tomato mixture over crusts. Arrange grilled eggplant slices in single layer on top. Sprinkle feta cheese and olives over eggplant. Spoon remaining tomato mixture over top, then sprinkle with mozzarella. Close grill and cook, periodically moving pizzas around to keep charring to a minimum, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer pizzas to cutting board, then slice and serve.
- Serving Size Makes 8 slices
- Calories 220
- Carbohydrate Content 26 g
- Cholesterol Content 19 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 3 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 4 g
- Sodium Content 778 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g