Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
30 minutes or fewer
We guarantee this incredibly simple dish will become a weeknight favorite. To speed things up at mealtime, steam the asparagus beforehand, and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Cook asparagus in large, deep skillet of salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Grease 4 individual oven-proof gratin dishes. Divide asparagus between them; season with thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with half of cheese.
- Heat butter in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides, then fry eggs, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, until whites are set, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully transfer 1 egg to each gratin dish using a slotted spatula, placing on top of asparagus and cheese. Sprinkle eggs with remaining cheese, and drizzle with any butter remaining in skillet.
- Bake until cheese is melted and eggs are cooked as desired, 4 to 5 minutes for runny yolks. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size Serves 4
- Calories 200
- Carbohydrate Content 5 g
- Cholesterol Content 240 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 8 g
- Sodium Content 320 mg
- Sugar Content 2 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g