Recipe by Natural Gourmet Institute
- 4 servingsServings
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced lengthwise (fronds set aside for garnish)
- 6 large cloves of garlic, sliced very thinly lengthwise
- 1/2 pound Emmer pasta
- 1/4 Taleggio cheese, cut into small cubes and kept refrigerated until use
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425° F to roast vegetables. Bring a large pot of water to boil with heaping teaspoon of sea salt for pasta.
2. In a bowl, toss cauliflower with 1 tablespoon oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Toss fennel with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon of salt in another bowl.
3. Spread cauliflower on one baking sheet and fennel on another (as they cook at different times). Transfer trays to the oven and roast vegetables until they start to brown (cauliflower 15 minutes, fennel 10 minutes), stirring occasionally. Remove cauliflower and fennel from oven and set aside.
4. In large sauté pan, heat remaining olive oil and add garlic, cooking just until garlic sizzles. Do not let it brown. Immediately add cauliflower and fennel to pan, and sauté 1-2 minutes.
5. Boil emmer pasta until al dente, about 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside. Reserve ½ cup of pasta water. Add pasta to vegetables. Turn heat back to medium, adding reserved water, stirring to incorporate. Add cubed Taleggio, a few grinds of black pepper, and scant ¼ teaspoon of salt. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Divide pasta among four plates and garnish with fennel fronds.
See Also: Cream of Mushroom Soup
Photography by Alexandra Shytsman, Natural Gourmet Institute