Packed with iron and protein, this chili freezes well and is a good choice for lunch or dinner. Makes 4 servings.
See more Feel-Good Foods and recipes >
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Heat olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add jalapeño and garlic, and sauté for 1 additional minute.
3. Now add the lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste, corn, water, salt, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon.
4. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe by Karen Ansel