Tossing the cheese with flour before melting gives this lighter fondue an ooey-gooey texture. Serve it with cubes of French baguette or focaccia, and blanched broccoli florets, steamed baby potatoes and apple wedges. Make this a meal by adding a green salad.
- 3/4 cup shredded Emmenthaler or
- 2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. dry mustard, to taste
- 1 tsp. Kirsch, optional
- Place cheese, flour and nutmeg on large piece of wax paper; toss to mix.
- Rub cut garlic sides on inside of stove-proof fondue pot. Add broth, wine and mustard to pot, and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add cheese mixture in thirds, whisking until combined each time. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook about 5 minutes, or until smooth, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in Kirsch, if using. Place fondue pot over warmer; serve with dippers.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 107
- Carbohydrate Content: 5 g
- Cholesterol Content: 19 mg
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 216 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g