Canned beans are convenient but high in sodium; rinsing them removes added salt.
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz) fava beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup packed, roughly chopped parsley, plus 2 tbsp leaves for garnish
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
1. Prepare favas: In a medium pot over medium heat, heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Add garlic; cook, 2 minutes. Add beans, cumin, and 1⁄4 cup water; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Make dip: In a food processor or blender, process bean mixture, lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil, tomatoes, shallot, pepper, harissa, parsley, and salt to taste until mixture is blended but still chunky.
3. Garnish and serve: Transfer dip to a serving bowl and refrigerate at least 15 minutes or up to one day. Top with remaining 1 tsp olive oil, parsley leaves, and extra harissa. Serve with radishes and toasted pita bread for dipping.
- Serving Size: 6
- Calories: 136
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 8 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 4 g