With melatonin-dense dried cherries, pistachios, which contain vitamin B6, and protein-rich quinoa, this easy weeknight pilaf has nutrients to help you sleep soundly, keep your memory sharp, and maintain healthy muscles. Makes 4 servings.
See more Feel-Good Foods and recipes >
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 head radicchio, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Put quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse well under cold water. In a sauce- pan, bring 2 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add quinoa, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until grains are tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove quinoa from heat, and let cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl, and fluff with a fork to separate grains.
2. Add radicchio, vinegar, olive oil, cherries, pistachios, and parsley to bowl, and stir to mix well. season with salt and pep- per. serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe printed with permission from Healthy in a Hurry by Karen Ansel and Charity Ferreira (Weldon Owen, 2012).