Sun-dried tomato pesto enhances the flavor of the fresh tomatoes; the pesto recipe makes about 1 cup.
Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup regular or soy Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Fennel and Tomato Filling
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 zucchini, trimmed and sliced about 1/8-inch thick
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and shredded
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated regular or soy Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- To make Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto: Put all ingredients in food processor, and purée until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil 2-qt. gratin dish.
- To make Fennel and Tomato Filling: Combine Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto with stock, and set aside. Arrange half zucchini in bottom of dish, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper. Top with half fennel and half tomato slices. Spread half pesto mixture on top, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Repeat layering with remaining vegetables; top with remaining pesto mixture and remaining cheese. Cover.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove cover, and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake uncovered about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and liquid is absorbed. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 26 g
- Fat Content: 22 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 890 mg
- Sugar Content: 9 g