Don’t be intimidated by this long ingredient list: Much of it is a spice mix you can put together in a couple of minutes. Canned chickpeas work fine here, but remember they just need to heat through, not cook; two to three minutes in the pot is plenty.
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 (20-oz.) cans canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed (3 cups)
- 1 Tbs. light brown sugar
- 2 medium carrots, grated (1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- Make spice mixture: In small bowl, mix cumin, paprika, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Stir in 3 tablespoons water. Cook briefly, stirring, then stir in chickpeas.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2 minutes, stirring once. Stir in brown sugar, then carrots and onion. Cover and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice.
- Transfer chickpeas to serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
- Serving Size: 6 servings
- Calories: 193
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 368 mg