Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Don’t be intimidated by this long ingredient list: Much of it is a spice mix you can put together in a couple of minutes. Canned chickpeas work fine here, but remember they just need to heat through, not cook; two to three minutes in the pot is plenty.
- Make spice mixture: In small bowl, mix cumin, paprika, cinnamon, coriander, cloves, salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 15 seconds. Stir in 3 tablespoons water. Cook briefly, stirring, then stir in chickpeas.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook 2 minutes, stirring once. Stir in brown sugar, then carrots and onion. Cover and cook 1 minute more. Remove from heat and mix in lemon juice.
- Transfer chickpeas to serving bowl, sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
- Serving Size 6 servings
- Calories 193
- Carbohydrate Content 32 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 368 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g