Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
The pesto for this dish is made without Parmesan, which means you can indulge by sprinkling it with a little bit of the pungent cheese, if you like.
1. Blend parsley, walnuts, 3 garlic cloves, thyme leaves, and chopped rosemary in food processor until finely chopped. Add 3 Tbs. oil, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. Cook kale in large pot of boiling water 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove kale with large sieve, and drain. Add pasta, remaining garlic cloves, thyme, and rosemary sprigs to boiling water, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain pasta.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 Tbs. oil in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion, and sauté 12 minutes, or until tender and golden. Add pesto, and sauté 2 minutes, or until sauce begins to stick to bottom of pan and turns golden brown. Add vegetable broth, and simmer 2 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half, scraping sauce from bottom of pan.
4. Add kale and pasta to mushroom mixture, and toss to coat. Stir in reserved pasta cooking water to moisten, if desired. Add Parmesan, if using, and season to taste with black pepper.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 391
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 13 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 62 mg
- Sugar Content 6 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g