This salsa adds both flavor and color to entrée dishes, such as the Wild Rice Pancakes and the Peruvian Blue Home Fries. From Mollie Katzens Sunlight Café.
- Olive oil
- 2 lb. red, yellow or orange bell peppers
- 1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
- Cayenne to taste
- Preheat broiler and lightly brush baking tray with olive oil. Place whole peppers on tray.
- Broil peppers, turning every 5 minutes, until blackened all over, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer peppers to bowl, and cover bowl with plate. Let peppers cool for 45 minutes, during which time they release juices. Reserve juices.
- Peel peppers and remove and discard seeds and stems. Mince flesh of peppers and return minced peppers to bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients, and adjust salt and cayenne to taste.
- Serve cold or at room temperature. Store in tightly sealed jar in refrigerator.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 70
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 300 mg