This flatbread is very versatile, and it can be grilled or cooked in a heavy skillet on the stovetop, under the broiler or in a preheated 500F. oven on a pizza stone. You can vary the flavor by adding minced fresh herbs or cracked black pepper to the dough. Cover the dough and refrigerate after the first rise, then bake the next day.
- 1 pkg. dry active yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 3/4 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour or coarsely ground rye flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. crushed fennel seed
- Olive oil for brushing breads
- Combine yeast and water in bowl of electric mixer. Let rest until foamy, about 15 minutes. Using paddle attachment, incorporate flours into yeast mixture. Beat in salt and fennel seeds. Switch to dough hook and knead for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove dough and place into lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover dough with plastic and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down, cover and let rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto work surface and divide into 8 balls, about 3 ounces each. Place balls on floured cookie sheet, cover with damp towel and let rest for 20 minutes. Dust work surface with flour and roll balls into 7-inch-round disks, dusting with flour, as needed.
- Prepare hot charcoal or stovetop grill. Lightly brush disks with olive oil. Place disks, oiled side down on grill. The breads will begin to rise almost immediately. When brown, flip over, brush again and cook until brown. Remove from grill.
- Serving Size: MAKES 8 BREADS
- Calories: 160
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 470 mg