Foccacia bread may be found in Italian markets, specialty bread stores and many supermarkets. If it is not available, substitute a French bread baguette and cut the filled baguette crosswise into 1 1/2-inch slices.
- 1 round (8 to 10 inches) foccacia bread or onion foccacia bread
- 1 cup packed, shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 red or yellow bell peppers (or one of each)
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat broiler. Quarter bell peppers lengthwise; discard stems and seeds. Flatten with palm of hand. Place skin side up on foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat until skin is evenly blackened, 8 to 12 minutes. Wrap peppers in foil from pan; let stand 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, mix oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Peel off and discard skin from peppers. Cut into uniform pieces; arrange in shallow dish. Pour dressing over peppers. Cover; chill at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In small bowl, combine goat cheese and basil; mix well. Drain peppers; add marinade from peppers to cheese mixture; mix well. Using a long serrated knife, split bread in half horizontally. Spread cheese mixture over cut sides of bread. Arrange romaine lettuce and marinated peppers over bottom half of bread; close sandwich with top of bread. Cut into wedges to serve.
- Serving Size: Makes 16
- Calories: 66
- Carbohydrate Content: 8 g
- Cholesterol Content: 3 mg
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 109 mg