Chipotle chiles are vine-ripened jalapeños turned red that are smoked and dried. They may be converted into a thick sauce or sold as whole chipotles in adobo sauce (rehydrated and cooked with onions and spices). The canned product usually contains two chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, and thats what you need for this recipe. Purée the contents of the can, and refrigerate any leftover purée.
- 3 lb. red-skinned potatoes, skins on, scrubbed and diced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced, optional
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
- 2 Tbs. chipotle chiles puréed with adobo sauce, or to taste
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- Put diced potatoes in mixing bowl with 1/4 cup oil, salt and cumin, and toss to coat potatoes. Spread out on baking sheet. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Leave oven on.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion, red bell pepper and green chiles in remaining 2 Tbs. oil. Add roasted potatoes and chipotle chiles, and toss well. Put into baking dish, and top with cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until cheese is just melted. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate Content: 38 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 400 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g