When sweet onions like Vidalia or Maui are in season, by all means use them. Always keep phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap to prevent them from becoming dry and brittle and difficult to work with.
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 (18 x 14-inch). frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
- 24 Greek black olives, pitted and halved
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 lbs. onions, thinly sliced (10 1/2 cups)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. herbes de Provence
- In large, deep nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add one-third the onions and cook, stirring, until slightly wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to plate.
- Repeat twice with remaining oil and onions, removing each batch of onions to plate when slightly wilted.
- Return all onions to skillet. Add garlic, herbes de Provence, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and the consistency of a thick, chunky sauce, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 15 x 10-inch baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Unwrap phyllo, discard any torn sheets and immediately cover with plastic wrap to prevent drying. Remove wrap and lightly coat top sheet with cooking spray, starting from outside edge. Lift carefully and center on prepared pan.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo and more cooking spray, stacking sheets in pan. Gently ease phyllo into corners of pan, then fold or crimp edges to form 1/2-inch raised crust. Spread onion mixture evenly over phyllo, then sprinkle with olives.
- Bake until phyllo is golden brown and shrinks from edges of pan, about 20 minutes. For easy cutting, carefully slide pizza out of pan onto back of another baking pan. Using kitchen scissors, cut into rectangular slices. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 6 to 8 servings
- Calories: 212
- Carbohydrate Content: 34 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 552 mg