Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
French toast is usually soaked in a rich egg batter, pan-fried in butter, and made in batches. Here, egg whites and a homemade syrup lighten up the batter, and you bake the slices in one batch so everyone can enjoy a hot, healthful breakfast together.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- To make Citrus Syrup: Whisk together agave nectar, lemon juice, orange zest, and lemon zest in glass measuring cup. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend. Heat in microwave on high power 60 seconds or until hot. Cool 10 minutes.
- To make French Toast: Whisk together milk, eggs, egg whites, and ¼ cup Citrus Syrup in large casserole dish. Soak bread slices in mixture until all of custard is absorbed, turning once.
- Arrange bread slices on prepared baking sheet. Bake 25 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Serve with remaining Citrus Syrup.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 300
- Carbohydrate Content 59 g
- Cholesterol Content 73 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 385 mg
- Sugar Content 32 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g