Fresh tomatoes, seasoned with woodsy thyme, produce a delicate tomato sauce, which is well suited to goat-cheese ravioli and other light pasta dishes. This sauce has a rustic feel because the tomatoes are not peeled; if you prefer a more refined sauce, peel tomatoes by dipping them into boiling water, then slipping off skins.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and thyme.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until tomatoes are saucy and have thickened slightly, 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste. (Sauce can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.)
- Protein Content: 3 g