A light lime syrup harmonizes the flavors of the fruits in this salad. Use whatever fruit you have on hand, but if you plan to use apples, pears, or bananas, add them just before serving so that they don't brown. If you want to add carambola (star fruit), look for fruit that is beginning to turn golden yellow with slightly brown edges—unripe green fruit may be sour.
- 1/2-cup servingServings
- 2 Tbs. lime juice
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 4 clementines or Mandarin oranges, peeled, segments sliced in half (1 cup)
- 2 kiwifruits, peeled, halved, and sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup pineapple cubes
- 1 carambola (star fruit), sliced (1/2 cup), optional
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
1. Combine sugar and lime juice in glass measuring cup, and microwave on high power 1 minute, or until sugar dissolves and mixture is syrupy. Cool 10 minutes, then stir in mint.
2. Combine fresh and dried fruit in large bowl. Stir in lime syrup. Cover, and chill 30 minutes, or overnight. Garnish each serving with mint sprig.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 64
- Carbohydrate Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Sodium Content: 1 mg
- Sugar Content: 11 g