Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
- In large saucepan, bring 4 cups lightly salted water to a boil. Add wheat berries. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add barley, cover and simmer 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in dry medium skillet, toast millet over medium-high heat, shaking pan and stirring until grains darken and “pop,” about 5 minutes.
- After wheat berry-barley mixture has cooked 50 minutes, add toasted millet, cover and simmer until all grains are tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff grains with fork and let cool.
- In large bowl, combine grains, orange zest, scallions, parsley, mint and dried cherries. Toss well.
- In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over grain mixture and toss well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, top with fresh fruit and/or berries.
- Serving Size 8 Servings
- Calories 268
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 8 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 6 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 4 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g