Lentils have a great texture and are a delicious partner with pastaespecially curly shapes that trap the flavorful braised lentils in their ridges.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown or green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 bunches arugula, trimmed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 12 oz. dried fusilli pasta or rotini
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Add lentils and mix well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and salt. Cover and simmer until lentils are tender and flavors have blended, about 20 minutes. Stir in arugula and simmer, uncovered, until wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice and pepper.
- Shortly before sauce is ready, add fusilli to boiling water; stir to prevent sticking. Cook, stirring often, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain well and place in large warm serving bowl. Add lentil mixture and toss. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 6 Servings
- Calories: 345
- Carbohydrate Content: 60 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 14 g
- Sodium Content: 344 mg