Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
New Orleans folks cut crisp French bread in half, remove some of the soft bread center and fill that hollow with anything good to eat. The easiest way to grill vegetables is with a grill basket. It looks like a square metal bowl with lots of holes in it. This lets you to toss the vegetables freely without having them fall in the fire.
- Prepare medium charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill to medium.
- Snap off ends of asparagus. Using vegetable basket, grill asparagus on all sides until done. Set aside.
- Grill carrot slices and scallions in basket until done. When finished, grill onion slices and bell peppers. All vegetables should be cooked through and lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper in bowl. Pour over hot grilled vegetables. Toss gently.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Tear out about one-third of interior to hollow it slightly. Spread bottom and top with cheese. Divide vegetables evenly on bottom parts of bread, and drizzle with any olive oil marinade left in bowl.
- Place tops on loaves, and press lightly. Cut each baguette into 3 equal sections.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 555
- Carbohydrate Content 65 g
- Cholesterol Content 44 mg
- Fat Content 29 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 15 g
- Saturated Fat Content 12 g
- Sodium Content 964 mg
- Sugar Content 14 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g