Loads of broccoli and loads of garlic are the mainstays for this dish. Asafetida is an Indian flavoring that is available at specialty food stores. Recipe courtesy of Drew Harwell, garden coordinator.
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Pinch asafetida (hing) powder, optional
- 1 cup vegetable stock, boiling
- Sea salt to taste
- Cut the broccoli into long, thin, uniform spears. Rinse the spears, and shake to remove excess water.
- Separate the garlic cloves from the head, peel the cloves and cut into quarters.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, sprinkle in asafetida, if using, and spread to coat the bottom of the pot. Lay the broccoli spears on the bottom, and arrange the garlic on top of the broccoli.Add the vegetable stock.
- Cover, and braise the broccoli for 10 to 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring to prevent sticking. Reduce the heat, if needed, to prevent burning, and cook to desired texture. Place onto a platter or in a bowl, sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 100
- Carbohydrate Content: 12 g
- Fat Content: 5 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 6 g
- Sodium Content: 55 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g