Two heads of roasted garlic give these crispy cakes amazing flavor. Feel free to slather them in other types of tapenade, or your favorite prepared pesto.
- 2 heads whole garlic
- 2 Tbs. olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup corn grits
- 1/4 cup red pepper tapenade
- Preheat oven to 350F. Peel off papery outer layers of garlic, and cut off top fifth. Lay garlic on piece of aluminum foil large enough to wrap around heads. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Wrap in foil, and roast 40 to 60 minutes, until garlic is tender and golden brown. Remove from oven, and cool 10 minutes, then squeeze out cloves. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chickpeas and roasted garlic. Mash chickpeas into oil, leaving some chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add grits and 1 cup water. Cook 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently, or until grits have thickened. Transfer to bowl and cool 10 minutes, or to room temperature. Shape into 8 1/4-cup cakes. Chill 10 minutes, or until firm.
- Coat large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Add grits cakes and sauté 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden. Serve hot, drizzled with about 1 1/2 tsp. tapenade per cake.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 264
- Carbohydrate Content: 32 g
- Fat Content: 13 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 686 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g