Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Caraway-seasoned braised cabbage is traditionally served with mashed potatoes in Germany, Austria, and Hungary. Here, we bring the two together in a hearty casserole. To freeze the casserole for future use, prepare up to the baking step, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and place in freezer. Thaw completely before baking.
1. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions, and sauté 5 minutes. Add apples and caraway seeds, and sauté 3 minutes, or until apples begin to soften. Stir in cabbage and dried cherries, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 15 minutes. Add wine, vinegar, and 1 cup water, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Cover, and simmer 30 minutes more.
2. Bring potatoes and enough water to cover to a boil in saucepan. Cook
10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Mash potatoes, reserved liquid, sour cream, and butter in saucepan until smooth. Stir in chives. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spoon cabbage mixture in 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until potato topping begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 289
- Carbohydrate Content 53 g
- Cholesterol Content 9 mg
- Fat Content 7 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 5 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 64 mg
- Sugar Content 17 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g