Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
This breakfast treat is one of those cant-miss gifts your recipients will treasure. Unlike so many versions, the flavor of the fruit isnt overwhelmed by too many spicestheres just enough candied ginger to give it a spicy lift. An added plus: Its as simple as can be!
Presentation Idea: A jar of this and a plate of the Cranberry Cream Scones make a great combination gift.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In large, nonreactive pot, combine apples, pears, cider and ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until fruit becomes mushy, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in sugar and lemon juice. Transfer about half the contents to a food processor, and process until smooth. Pour into large, shallow baking dish. Repeat with remaining fruit mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Reduce heat to 350°F. Continue baking, stirring occasionally, until fruit butter has darkened, thickened and reduced by about half, 40 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool completely.
- Spoon mixture into clean jars, and cover tightly. Butter will keep in refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
- Serving Size Makes 4 half-pint jars
- Calories 15
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g