Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
“Chocolate cake for grown-ups” is how VT taste testers described this dessert.
1. To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 11- x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, cocoa, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in bowl.
2. Place 1 cup maple syrup in 4-cup measuring cup. Bring stout to a boil, and pour into maple syrup.
3. Beat butter and brown sugar with electric mixer. Beat in eggs. Alternate adding stout and flour mixtures to batter. Pour into prepared pan, and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan; cut into 16 squares.
4. To make Sweetened Sour Cream: whisk together sour cream and brown sugar until sugar dissolves. Serve Cake with Sweetened Sour Cream.
- Serving Size Serves 16
- Calories 254
- Carbohydrate Content 42 g
- Cholesterol Content 48 mg
- Fat Content 9 g
- Fiber Content 2 g
- Protein Content 4 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 169 mg
- Sugar Content 24 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g