Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Crowned with a hazelnut-gingerbread topping, this scrumptious cobbler is heavenly when served with a dollop of vegan whipped cream.
- Preheat oven to 275F.
- To make Filling: Place hazelnuts on baking sheet in single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted, taking care not to burn. Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400F.
- Wrap nuts in clean kitchen towel, and set aside for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Rub gently to remove excess skin—some skin will remain. Set aside.
- Cut apples into pieces 1-inch wide and 1/4-inch thick, and place in large bowl. Toss with lemon juice, and set aside. Combine strawberries and juice concentrate in 3-quart heat-proof casserole. Cover, and cook over medium heat, 5 minutes, or until berries are thawed. Add apples and cranberries. Reduce heat to low, and add brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Combine cornstarch and water in small bowl, and add to fruit. Cook 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- To make Gingerbread Topping: Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in bowl, and set aside.
- Beat prune purée, cane juice and fresh ginger with fork.
- Combine egg replacer and water in small bowl. Add egg mixture and soymilk to prune mixture.
- Fold flour mixture into prune mixture, and stir in hazelnuts. Spoon batter over fruit filling.
- Bake uncovered on center rack 25 minutes, or until topping springs back and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven, and serve.
- Serving Size SERVES 12
- Calories 318
- Carbohydrate Content 56 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 4 g
- Fiber Content 5 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 181 mg
- Sugar Content 57 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g