Here brown rice and vegetables form the foundation of a hearty meal. Fresh ginger is added to open up stuffy sinuses and ward off bacteria. Serve it on its own or as a side dish with marinated and baked tempeh.
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups cooked brown rice or other cooked grains
- 1/2 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, with green tops
- Ginger Dressing
- 2 to 3 Tbs. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 Tbs. tamari or natural soy sauce
- 1 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tsp. red or brown miso (brewer’s yeast may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup spring or filtered water
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Steam peas, carrots and corn just until tender. In medium bowl, combine brown rice, tomatoes and green onions. Add steamed vegetables and mix well.
- Dressing: In small bowl, mix ginger, tamari or soy sauce, sesame seeds, miso, water and sesame oil until well-blended. Add to rice mixture and toss to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 4 Servings
- Calories: 244
- Carbohydrate Content: 46 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 6 g
- Protein Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 328 mg