Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Vegetable juice gives this grain salad a gorgeous color, a hint of flavor, and a hefty boost of vitamin C and beta-carotene.
1. Toast almonds in saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, or until fragrant and beginning to brown, stirring often. Cool.
2. Wipe out saucepan; add oil and onion. Sauté onion 2 to 3 minutes, or until translucent, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in ginger, quinoa, and juice, and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat, and scatter peas over cooked quinoa. Cover, and let stand 10 minutes, until peas are thawed.
5. Stir apple, coconut, and almonds into salad. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 295
- Carbohydrate Content 40 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 11 g
- Fiber Content 6 g
- Protein Content 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content 3 g
- Sodium Content 98 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g