Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Almost anything tastes better with mashed potatoes on top. The “glorified” part is the addition of mushrooms and baby peas—or you could use corn instead—to the usual ratatouille suspects: eggplant, tomatoes and zucchini. You can make and chill the filling a day before you bake the pie.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease large, deep pie pan or medium-sized casserole.
- Put potatoes in medium saucepan, and add enough salted water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add eggplant and zucchini, and cook, partially covered and stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, peas and garlic, and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Add tomato paste; cook 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, basil, vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer, and cook gently, partially covered, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer mixture to prepared pie pan.
- Drain potatoes, and mash, gradually adding soymilk and canola oil as you mash. Spread evenly over filling. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until bubbling hot. Cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 298
- Carbohydrate Content 39 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 13 g
- Fiber Content 8 g
- Protein Content 7 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 510 mg
- Sugar Content 11 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g