A hearty soup is the perfect way to warm the body and soul, whether you have an allergy or not. Satisfying enough to serve as a meal, this soup is a great "take along" dish when eating at a friend’s home–just reheat on the stove and serve.
- 2 Tbs. wheat-free tamari
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked or canned black-eyed peas, rinsed if canned
- 1 Tbs. safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups chopped kale
- In large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cover and cook 5 minutes until softened. Add paprika, bay leaf, stock or water, tomatoes and kale and cook, uncovered, until kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Add peas and tamari and simmer 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, add rice and heat through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 219
- Carbohydrate Content: 40 g
- Fat Content: 4 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 530 mg