You won't miss the gluten in this crunchy, almondy topping. Use red-fleshed plums such as Santa Rosas for maximum flavor.
- 3/4 cup almonds
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw sugar, plus 1 tbsp, divided
- 6 tbsp melted butter, plus 1 tbsp cold butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups sliced ripe plums (about a dozen)
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spread almonds on a cookie sheet and bake until toasted, 10-12 minutes; let cool. Place in a food processor fitted with a swivel blade and pulse to a fine meal. In a bowl, combine ground almonds, oats, 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Press half of the mixture onto bottom and sides of a greased 9" pie pan.
2. Arrange plum slices in overlapping concentric rings on top of crust to cover it. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp sugar; dot with cold butter pieces. Press remaining half of almond mixture over the top. Bake until plums are bubbling and topping is lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.