Simple, speedy, and satisfying, this patty recipe is made with TVP (textured vegetable protein), which can be found in the bulk section of natural food stores. These burgers get their meaty flavor from dulse, dried seaweed flakes that are a good source of B vitamins and iron.
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 oz. dulse, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. horseradish-flavored mustard
- 2 Tbs. canola oil
- 4 8-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- Combine TVP and dulse in large bowl. Add 1 cup boiling water, stir to combine, and set aside. Combine flaxseed and 2 Tbs. hot water in separate bowl. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir flax mixture into TVP mixture. Add ketchup, cornstarch, and mustard.
- Heat canola oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using 1/2 cup measure, scoop and shape four patties. Fry 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. Serve on corn tortillas, topped with lettuce, tomato, and condiments, if desired.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 277
- Carbohydrate Content: 33 g
- Fat Content: 9 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 15 g
- Sodium Content: 310 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g