Use store-bought vegan gnocchi, or make your own (recipe follows).
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- 1 6-oz. pkg. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 26-oz. jar low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/3 cup red wine or water
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed
- 1 1-lb. pkg. gnocchi
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, heat oil and crushed red pepper in a 5-quart saucepan over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add garlic and scallions. Sauté for 2 minutes, and add mushrooms. Cook mixture for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, add tomato sauce, and stir in tomato paste, wine, marjoram, zucchini and capers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- Add gnocchi to boiling water. Cook for about 5 minutes, or according to package directions. Remove from heat, drain and put into serving bowl. Combine with sauce, and serve.
Makes 6 cups
Semolina flour mix is a blend of semolina and kamut flours; however, you may substitute plain semolina flour.
- 4 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 to 3 cups semolina flour mix
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- Place potatoes in a steamer basket suspended above boiling water, and steam for 15 minutes, or until fork-tender. Set aside to cool.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl, and mash with a fork.Add up to 3 cups of flour, and knead in the bowl until dough forms, adding more flour until dough is no longer sticky.
- Divide dough into 4 portions, and turn onto floured surface. With floured hands, roll each portion into a long cylinder about 2 inches in diameter. Cut into 1-inch pieces. With a floured fork, make a lengthwise indentation on the edge of each piece, and, with a gentle motion, roll the dough over the fork tines to create ridges on dough. Set gnocchi aside on a floured board.
- Fill a large saucepan with water, and add a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil. Bring to a boil, and add gnocchi with a slotted spoon. Bring water to a second boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Gnocchi will rise to the surface in 5–10 minutes.Drain well, and combine with sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrate Content: 67 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 8 g
- Protein Content: 10 g
- Sodium Content: 404 mg
- Sugar Content: 3 g