The pastry crust can be made up to one week ahead. Cover it tightly and refrigerate. The delicious apple filling can be made up to one day ahead and refrigerated in an airtight container.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Using fork, slowly stir oil into flour mixture until crumbly. Stir in enough ice water so dough will hold together. Turn dough out onto work surface and flatten into disk.
- Roll dough between sheets of wax paper into a circle, 14 to 15 inches in diameter and approximately 1/16 inch thick, patching where necessary. Remove top sheet and invert dough onto prepared baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate while preparing filling.
- In large, heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add sugar and stir until mixture turns deep gold, about 8 minutes. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and orange peel. Stir 1 minute. Add apples. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook until mixture is thick, golden and reduced to 2 1/4 cups, stirring often, about 40 minutes. Stir in honey. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Discard vanilla bean.
- Spread apple mixture over pastry, leaving 1 1/2-inch border around edge. Fold pastry border over apples. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake until crust is golden and juices are bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Using long spatula, loosen tart from baking sheet and slide onto serving platter. Let cool slightly before serving. Garnish with slivered almonds and curled lemon peel if desired.
- Serving Size 8 Servings
- Calories 417
- Carbohydrate Content 70 g
- Cholesterol Content 16 mg
- Fat Content 16 g
- Fiber Content 4 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 5 g
- Sodium Content 135 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g