Use this creamy gravy on the Open-Faced "Turkey" Sandwich, or try it spooned over mashed potatoes. Stored tightly sealed in the refrigerator, it keeps well for several days. Vegetarian chicken-free "chicken broth" can be found in natural food stores, and is sold by companies including Imagine Foods.
- 1/4 CUP-SERVINGServings
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 medium Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup "no-chicken" broth, or 1 cup vegetable broth plus 1/2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbs. sweet white miso
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 cup broth, scraping up browned bits in bottom of pan. Pour into blender or food processor and purée until smooth or leave gravy slightly pulpy, as preferred.
- In a cup, combine miso and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Using back of spoon or wire whisk, blend until miso is well combined. Add to broth mixture in blender and whirl to blend. Warm through over low heat and serve hot.
- Serving Size: Makes 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 53
- Carbohydrate Content: 4 g
- Fat Content: 3 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 271 mg