Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Use this creamy gravy on the Open-Faced “Turkey” Sandwich, or try it spooned over mashed potatoes. Stored tightly sealed in the refrigerator, it keeps well for several days. Vegetarian chicken-free “chicken broth” can be found in natural food stores, and is sold by companies including Imagine Foods.
- In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt and cook, stirring often, until well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 cup broth, scraping up browned bits in bottom of pan. Pour into blender or food processor and purée until smooth or leave gravy slightly pulpy, as preferred.
- In a cup, combine miso and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Using back of spoon or wire whisk, blend until miso is well combined. Add to broth mixture in blender and whirl to blend. Warm through over low heat and serve hot.
- Serving Size Makes 1 1/4 cups
- Calories 53
- Carbohydrate Content 4 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 3 g
- Fiber Content 1 g
- Protein Content 1 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 271 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g