Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Stress can come from two places: the inside (inflammation) and the outside (too much to do). Sipping this brew can help ease both. The anti-inflammatory herbs turmeric and ginger offer a tangy, slightly sweet flavor that will hit the spot. Lemon balm, the “it” herb for alchemists, has been found to have antimicrobial, antioxidant, and antianxiety properties.
1. In a small saucepan over high heat, cook the lemon peel, ginger, turmeric, and 1 cup of water until the water just begins to boil, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in lemon juice, honey, and lemon-balm extract, and then strain into a mug, reserving peels. Garnish with a couple 2-inch pieces of cooked lemon peel and rosemary, if desired.
3. Add some spirit Add 1 shot (1.5 oz) vodka (64 calories).
Handling and storage: The freshness of your ginger root makes a huge taste difference. Very fresh bright-yellow ginger has more heat and a cleaner flavor, while aging ginger has a greener, stringy center and a soapier flavor. Choose ginger with smooth, firm skin—not torn or rippled.
- Serving Size 1 cup without alcohol
- Calories 73
- Carbohydrate Content 19 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 0 g
- Fiber Content 0 g
- Protein Content 0 g
- Saturated Fat Content 0 g
- Sodium Content 0 mg
- Sugar Content 0 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g