30 minutes or fewer
Yellow zucchini is also called gold bar squash. Presentation is everything here.
- 2 large (1 lb.) yellow bell peppers
- 1 lb. yellow zucchini
- 1 lb. very small baby carrots
- 4 Tbs. unsalted butter or soy margarine
- Large pinch saffron
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- Put whole bell peppers upright on cutting board. Using sharp knife, cut off 4 or 5 strips from top to bottom. This should leave top, bottom and seed core in one piece. Remove any white membranes, and cut strips into very thin slices about 2 1/2 inches long and 1/8 inch wide.
- Pare skins off yellow zucchini lengthwise, and cut into matchsticks resembling pepper strips.
- Peel carrots, if necessary, and cook in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- To serve, heat butter in heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Crush saffron, and add it to butter. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg. Do not let butter brown. Add vegetables, and cook 4 minutes, stirring gently or tossing in skillet. Remove from heat before peppers and zucchini wilt. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 95
- Carbohydrate Content: 9 g
- Cholesterol Content: 16 mg
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 2 g
- Protein Content: 2 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 23 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g