Many supermarkets now stock precooked and vacuum-packed wild rice, a boon for cooks in a hurry who love the delicate wild rice flavor but who lack the time to prepare it from scratch. An elegant dish, this wholesome entrée calls for an equally elegant dessert such as an éclair or a slice of tiramisu.
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups precooked wild rice
- 4 oz. crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 4 Tbs. soy “bacon” bits, optional
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onion until golden, for about 8 minutes.Add the garlic and broccoli rabe, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover the skillet and cook until the broccoli rabe starts to wilt, for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cover, increase the heat to medium and stir in the wild rice, cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the rice is heated through. Stir in the Gorgonzola cheese, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat before all the cheese melts.
- To serve, spoon equal portions of the rice mixture onto individual plates, and garnish each serving with 1 tablespoon of “bacon” bits. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 330
- Carbohydrate Content: 30 g
- Cholesterol Content: 25 mg
- Fat Content: 19 g
- Fiber Content: 3 g
- Protein Content: 17 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7 g
- Sodium Content: 640 mg
- Sugar Content: 4 g