Chef Nicole Palitti tucks these burgers inside pitas with feta and tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup dried lentils
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup loosely packed parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Tzatziki Sauce
- 2 cups plain lowfat yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, shredded and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
To make Burgers:
1. Cook lentils according to package directions. Drain.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper, and sauté 7 minutes. Stir in garlic.
3. Blend chickpeas, parsley, olives, eggs, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper in food processor 2 minutes, or until smooth. Stir chickpea mixture, breadcrumbs, carrots and baking powder into lentils. Shape into 8 patties. Layer patties between plastic wrap and freeze.
To make Tzatziki Sauce:
4. Combine all ingredients in small bowl.
5. Preheat grill to high. Brush frozen patties with oil, and cook 6 minutes on each side. Serve burgers with sauce.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 262
- Carbohydrate Content: 31 g
- Cholesterol Content: 55 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 11 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 656 mg
- Sugar Content: 5 g