Using up leftover rice may ordinarily pose problems, but not when you can assemble this tasty, extra-fast, Greek-inspired dish. Start off your meal with a vegetarian version of the Greek Egg and Lemon Soup, or Avgolemono, or an appetizer of grilled Italian bread spread with a paste of sun-dried tomatoes, and conclude dinner with a serving of Greek baklava. Offer hot lemon tea with dessert.
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 cups cold cooked rice
- 1/4 cup water or vegetarian “chicken” stock, or more as needed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- About 2 cups quartered artichoke hearts
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 7-inch-round pita breads, cut into sixths
- 4 oz. pitted kalamata olives
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese as garnish
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes, or until onion turns golden. Add rice, breaking up clumps, water and lemon juice. Stir until grains are coated with oil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in peas, artichoke hearts, oregano, salt and pepper, and continue cooking until mixture is heated through.
- Meanwhile, toast pita pieces in oven until crisp, for 1 to 11/2 minutes, taking care not to burn them. Remove pita pieces from oven, and set them aside.
- To serve, stir olives into rice mixture, scoop mixture onto serving platter or individual plates and garnish with feta cheese. Stand 2 pita pieces, pointed ends down, in rice just before serving.
What else but a dry, well-chilled Greek white wine with this rice dish? Strofilia is a good option because this crisp white table wine is zesty enough, with its citrus and herb flavors, to match the tart lemon, oregano, pungent olives and salty feta in this savory rice dish.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 350
- Carbohydrate Content: 49 g
- Cholesterol Content: 15 mg
- Fat Content: 12 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 12 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4 g
- Sodium Content: 1040 mg
- Sugar Content: 6 g