Mint, parsley and fresh ginger give this warm salad an unusual twist, while using both wax and green beans and different potato varieties adds contrasting colors that make the salad “pop” on the plate.
- 2 Tbs. chopped walnuts
- 1 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh ginger
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 lb. new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1 lb. green beans, or 1/2 lb. green beans and 1/2 lb. wax beans, trimmed
1. Toast walnuts in small skillet 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat, or until nuts are fragrant, shaking pan frequently. Cool.
2. Purée walnuts, mint, parsley, oil, ginger, lemon juice, garlic, sugar and salt in food processor or blender until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl once or twice. Transfer to bowl. Press plastic wrap onto surface of pesto to keep from turning brown, and let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour, or up to 3 hours.
3. Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook 8 minutes. Add beans, and simmer4 to 5 minutes more, or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
4. Transfer vegetables to large bowl, and toss with pesto. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: Serves 8
- Calories: 174
- Carbohydrate Content: 18 g
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 231 mg
- Sugar Content: 1 g