For ages, Southwestern cooks have been adding a spicy touch to this much-loved classic. Jalapeno-spiked soy ||cheese|| and a little chipotle chili to lend great flavor as well as pleasant heat. The texture and taste of fresh bread crumbs more than make up for the small effort required.
- 8 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni (2 cups)
- 2 slices white bread, coarsely torn
- 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 Tbs. unsalted butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 scallion (white and light green parts), finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 5 oz. jalapeno soy cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups )
- Coat 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Preheat broiler. Bring medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni; stir to prevent sticking. Cook until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in food processor or blender, whirl bread to coarse crumbs. Transfer to small bowl. Stir in cilantro, salt and mustard and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, chipotle and scallion and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup soy milk until no lumps remain. Stir in another 1/2 cup milk until smooth, then remaining 3/4 cup milk. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring, until mixture boils gently and thickens enough to leave a track on bottom of pot behind spoon, about 2 minutes. Stir in "cheese" just until melted. Stir in macaroni until coated.
- Transfer macaroni mixture to prepared baking dish and sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Broil just until top is browned, about 1 1/2 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning. Serve hot.
- Serving Size: 4 to 6 Servings
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 39 g
- Cholesterol Content: 16 mg
- Fat Content: 16 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 21 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5 g
- Sodium Content: 745 mg