30 minutes or fewer
Inspired by the beloved Monte Cristo—a French toast sandwich typically with a savory filling of ham, turkey or chicken and melted cheese—our unusual brunch version merits applause. The addition of strawberry jam may sound odd, but trust us: The effect is delicious.
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 2-oz. slices soy “sausage” roll
- 4 slices vegan Swiss or cheddar cheese
- 4 Tbs. strawberry jam
- 4 or more large strawberries, sliced, for garnish
- Sprinkling confectioners’ sugar
- Beat together eggs, milk and vanilla in large baking pan. Soak bread in egg mixture 5 minutes, turning several times to ensure even absorption.
- Meanwhile, spray 10-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray, press “sausage” slices flat to fit circumference of bread and cook in skillet 2 minutes; turn, and brown second side. Remove from skillet, and set aside.
- Respray skillet, and cook all bread on one side over medium heat. Turn bread, and layer “sausage” slice, cheese slice and remaining “sausage” slice on inside of cooked sides of 2 slices. Top filling with cooked sides of bread, making a sandwich, with uncooked sides facing out. Brown bottom slices, and, using spatula, turn sandwiches over to brown top slices. Press down on sandwiches with spatula, and when bottoms are golden, turn again and cook 2 minutes more, or until cheese begins to melt.
- Put sandwiches on plates, top each with 1 Tbs. strawberry jam and strawberries. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
- Serving Size: Serves 4
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 36 g
- Cholesterol Content: 160 mg
- Fat Content: 10 g
- Fiber Content: 4 g
- Protein Content: 20 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 680 mg
- Sugar Content: 20 g