Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
Look for the small Italian eggplants for these sandwiches so that the eggplant slices fit into the pita pocket. Otherwise, cut the larger slices in quarters after grilling. These sandwiches are best when dressed with the Pomegranate-Walnut Saucelook for pomegranate syrup in Middle Eastern markets. It’s sometimes labeled pomegranate molasses. A satisfactory substitute is frozen cranberry juice concentrate. If you choose a less time-consuming sauce, bottled ranch salad dressing makes a fine option. Select a good-quality pita because some brands are not sturdy, and they fall apart after filling.
- To make Grilled Eggplant Pitas: Slice eggplants crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick pieces, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick pieces. Sprinkle with remaining salt. Place both vegetables on paper towels for 1 hour or longer. Press dry using fresh paper towels, pack for picnic and set aside.
- Cut peppers into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Slice red onions into 1/4-inch-thick slices, breaking apart circles. Place all vegetables in large container, and set aside.
- Whisk lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and pepper, and pour over vegetables. Toss well, and refrigerate.
- Cut pita breads in half, and open for stuffing. Pack for picnic, and set aside.
- To make Pomegranate-Walnut Sauce: Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, and sauté onion and garlic until soft and transparent. Remove from heat. Place walnuts, cinnamon and cooked onions in blender, and process until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, and blend for 2 minutes, scraping down sides of container several times. Taste and adjust flavors with honey and salt, as needed. If mixture is thicker than mayonnaise, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Chill until serving time, and store leftovers in container in refrigerator.
- Set and light charcoal fire, if using, about 30 minutes before serving. Otherwise, heat gas grill at serving time. Grill vegetables over medium-hot coals or gas grill, using basket for onions and peppers.
- When vegetables are soft and browned, remove from heat, and fill pitas with vegetables. Drizzle each sandwich with sauce, and serve 2 halves per person.
Pairing grilled foods with wine allows you to drink intense reds that normally overpower the food. This includes Washington State Merlots and big California Cabernets and Red Zinfandels. With the added Pomegranate-Walnut Sauce, lean toward a Red Zinfandel such as A. Rafanelli Dry Creek Valley Zinfandel.
- Serving Size Serves 8
- Calories 330
- Carbohydrate Content 45 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 15 g
- Fiber Content 9 g
- Protein Content 8 g
- Saturated Fat Content 2 g
- Sodium Content 840 mg
- Sugar Content 20 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g