Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth yoga, fitness, & nutrition courses, when you sign up for Outside+.
There’s no better way to cook eggplant than by grilling it — it becomes slightly crusty outside, meltingly moist inside.
- Prepare medium-hot charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill (or broiler).
- Grill whole red peppers, turning occasionally, until completely charred, about 20 minutes. Place in plastic or paper bag to steam 10 minutes to loosen skins. Working over bowl to catch pepper juices, remove skin, seeds and stems, and discard all. Dice peppers, and set aside.
- Brush oil onto one side of eggplant slices; place on grill, oiled side down. Cook until tender and grillmarked, 5 to 7 minutes. Oil tops, turn over and grill until tender, another 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to cutting board, and chop.
- Combine eggplant, peppers and juices, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, cilantro, mint and garlic in large salad bowl, and toss to mix. Add lemon juice, and season generously with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more lemon juice, salt or pepper as needed. Serve at room temperature.
- Serving Size Serves 6
- Calories 100
- Carbohydrate Content 15 g
- Cholesterol Content 0 mg
- Fat Content 5 g
- Fiber Content 7 g
- Protein Content 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content 1 g
- Sodium Content 10 mg
- Sugar Content 7 g
- Trans Fat Content 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat Content 0 g