Grilling is the perfect method for cooking eggplant, and the Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce is a perfect means of flavoring the eggplant.
- 2 1-lb. eggplants, sliced into 12 rounds each, 1/3- to 1/2-inch thick
- Coarse salt, such as kosher or sea salt, for sprinkling
- About 1/2 cup olive oil
- About 3/4 cup Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce
- Minced parsley for garnish
- Put eggplants in a colander, and sprinkle heavily with salt. Put colander in a sink or over a plate, and let sit for 25 to 30 minutes to draw out juices. Rinse eggplant slices, and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, fire up grill to medium heat.
- Brush oil lightly over eggplant slices, reserving remaining oil. Grill eggplant over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until soft and juicy. Turn once or twice, and baste with remaining oil if slices look dry. Sprinkle eggplant lightly with more salt to taste while cooking.
- To serve, stack 4 eggplant slices per serving with a generous drizzle of Grilled Red Pepper Romesco Sauce sandwiched between each layer so that some sauce is visible between layers. Spoon an equal amount of sauce over each stack for a total of 1 tablespoon per person. Garnish with parsley just before serving. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: SERVES 6
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrate Content: 10 g
- Fat Content: 21 g
- Fiber Content: 1 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2 g
- Sodium Content: 125 mg