30 minutes or fewer
Japanese eggplants have a naturally smoky flavor, but if you cant find them, regular eggplants work too. The eggplant slices can also be cooked on a countertop grill (such as George Foreman) or broiled in the oven.
- 6 medium-size Japanese eggplants (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 6 tomatoes (about 2 lb.) cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. drained capers
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- Preheat outdoor grill or set stovetop grill on medium heat. Cut each eggplant lengthwise into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Brush slices with olive oil.
- Mix tomatoes, 2 Tbs. oil, basil, shallot, capers and vinegar in medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill eggplants 5 minutes on each side for outdoor grill, 5 minutes total for countertop grill, or until tender and scored with dark grill marks. Arrange eggplant slices on platter. Spoon tomato mixture over top, and serve.
- Serving Size: Serves 6
- Calories: 124
- Carbohydrate Content: 15 g
- Fat Content: 7 g
- Fiber Content: 5 g
- Protein Content: 3 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1 g
- Sodium Content: 143 mg
- Sugar Content: 8 g